Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Holy Bible.

     Pictured to the left is a copy of The Bible in Today's English Version ( TEV ); being entitled: GOOD NEWS BIBLE.  The following quotation is taken from this version of the Holy Bible:
"In September 1966 the American Bible Society published The New Testament in Today's English Version, a translation for people everywhere for whom English is either their mother tongue or an acquired language.  Shortly thereafter the United Bible Societies requested the American Bible Society to undertake on its behalf a translation of the Old Testament following the same principles.  Accordingly the American Bible Society appointed a group of translators to prepare the translation.  In 1971 this group added a British consultant recommended by the British and Foreign Bible Society.  The translation of the Old Testament now appears together with the fourth edition of the New Testament."  [  See GOOD NEWS BIBLE, The Bible in Today's English Version, AMERICAN BIBLE SOCIETY, New York, Old Testament:  Copyright American Bible Society, 1976, New Testament:  Copyright American Bible Society, 1966, 1971, 1976, p. ix.  ]
     Job 1:13-22 read as follows:  "One day when Job's children were having a feast at the home of their oldest brother, a messenger came running to Job.  'We were plowing the fields with the oxen,' he said, 'and the donkeys were in a nearby pasture.  Suddenly the Sabeans attacked and stole them all.  They killed every one of your servants except me.  I am the only one who escaped to tell you.'  Before he had finished speaking, another servant came and said, 'Lightning struck the sheep and the shepherds and killed them all.  I am the only one who escaped to tell you.'  Before he had finished speaking, another servant came and said, 'Three bands of Chaldean raiders attacked us, took away the camels, and killed all your servants except me.  I am the only one who escaped to tell you.'  Before he had finished speaking, another servant came and said, 'Your children were having a feast at the home of your oldest son, when a storm swept in from the desert.  It blew the house down and killed them all.  I am the only one who escaped to tell you.'  Then Job got up and tore his clothes in grief.  He shaved his head and threw himself face downward on the ground.  He said, 'I was born with nothing, and I will die with nothing.  The LORD gave, and now he has taken away.  May his name be praised!'  In spite of everything that had happened, Job did not sin by blaming God."  Notice how Job responded to this great adversity.  He ultimately praised the name of the LORD.  How do we respond to adversity?
     Psalm 69:1 reads as follows:  "Save me, O God!  The water is up to my neck;  I am sinking in deep mud, and there is no solid ground;  I am out in deep water, and the waves are about to drown me."  Proverbs 24:10 reads as follows:  "If you are weak in a crisis, you are weak indeed."  Psalm 27:1 reads as follows:  "The LORD is my light and my salvation; I will fear no one.  The LORD protects me from all danger; I will never be afraid."  To be sure, we must trust that the LORD will protect us from all danger ( cf. Matthew 7:21-23, Acts 16:16-34 ( especially verses 25-34, for example ), 1 Timothy 2:1-4 ( especially verses 3 and 4, for example ), and Hebrews 9:27, for example ).  We must be strong in a time of crisis.
     Finally, we must view trials in a positive way.  James 1:2, 3 read as follows:  "My brothers, consider yourselves fortunate when all kinds of trials come your way, for you know that when your faith succeeds in facing such trials, the result is the ability to endure."  Please study the Holy Bible ( see 2 Timothy 2:15, for example ), so that you will know how to deal with adversity, for example.

If you have any questions about the Holy Bible, you can contact me by e-mail at:

<rewillis1_1@juno.com>
<Russell E. Willis>